Red Poppy Festival Parade Participant Instructions
The Parade will begin at 10:00 a.m. rain or shine. NEW: In order for public viewing to begin promptly at 10:00 a.m., we will begin to march/drive into the parade route at 9:45 a.m. sharp!
NEW!!! STAGING OF THE PARADE WILL BE ON 2ND Street & COLLEGE STREET. CHECK IN WILL BE AT COLLEGE STREET & HOLLY STREET. LINE-UP WILL BE IN ORDER OF COMPLETE PARADE ENTRY UNITS ARRIVAL ONLY. We are asking that you carpool as much as possible since parking is limited. This will also help you in getting your entire unit to parade check in together. We will only assign parade entry positions once your completed entry unit has arrived. If you arrive and are still waiting on individuals to complete your unit, you will be asked to return after your unit is complete. Staging area opens at 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- YOU WILL BE GIVEN YOUR NUMBER AND ALLOWED TO ENTER PARADE LINE-UP ONLY WHEN YOUR GROUP IS COMPLETE. ALL UNITS MUST REMAIN IN YOUR ASSIGNED POSITION. THIS WILL BE A FIRST COME-FIRST SERVED LINE UP, barring a few necessary exceptions which have been predetermined.
- No entry will be allowed to enter the parade line-up unless you have pre-registered and paid by the pre-registration date.
- The Red Poppy Festival committee reserves the right to reject any entry that is not in good taste, inappropriate, or not in the best interest of the parade.
- The theme of the Parade is “Paint the Town Red” and all entries should be decorated to promote Red Poppies, with red décor, or the very least, dressed in red attire.
- Drivers of motorized vehicles must have a valid driver’s license and should drive at a reasonable pace. Entries may not stop during the parade, unless there is an emergency. Entrants will be asked to leave the parade if they are not following at a reasonable rate (approximately 20’ gap between motorized entries, and approximately 10’ gap between marching parade units).
- All walking parade entrants must be able to maintain a marching pace and keep up with the pace of the parade.
- Trailers entered should be no longer than 20’ unless they are gooseneck or 5th wheel – must let us know.
- All parade participants are required to conduct themselves in such a manner as not to infringe on the rights of residents and merchants along the staging area and the parade route.
- NO objects including candy, flyers, favors, etc., may be thrown to the crowd along the parade route or staging area. People may walk along the street beside your unit to distribute items, if desired. You must make note of item to be distributed on parade application.
- Equestrian and animals units must provide their own accompanying clean-up personnel and equipment.
- Do NOT exit the parade early. The parade ends at the same location as start-up, 2nd St. and College St.
Floats, Entertainment Units, Signage Units and Walking Units are welcome! We encourage units to creatively commemorate the Georgetown Red Poppy in the decoration of your entries! Also, live or recorded music will add to the festive nature of the event!
The Red Poppy Festival Committee will be awarding the best Red Poppy Festival Parade Entries. There will be four awards: First Place Best Overall Poppy Theme, Second Place Best Overall Poppy Theme, Third Place Best Overall Poppy Theme and Most Creative Home Town Entry.
Before the Red Poppy Festival Parade, awards will be given to the parade entries based on the categories listed on first page of application. All award winners will be given a banner to “wear” during the Parade and to keep as their award! Judging will take place prior to the parade by qualified judges, starting approximately 1 hour prior to the start time for the parade. To qualify, units must be in their assigned line-up position and ready for judging by 9:00 a.m. The Parade begins at 9:45 a.m. and registration and line-up will open at 7:30 a.m. Final results will be announced just prior to the parade start and the award banners will be presented to the winning units.
NOTE: Cars entering the Red Poppy Car Show will not be allowed to enter the parade, but will enter Austin Avenue with the Car Show Procession.